Thursday, January 10, 2013

Monsters by Peter Cawdron

Book Description:  Monsters is a dystopian novel set against the backdrop of the collapse of civilization.

The fallout from a passing comet contains a biological pathogen, not a virus or a living organism, just a collection of amino acids, but these cause animals to revert to the age of the mega-fauna, when monsters roamed Earth.

Bruce Dobson is a reader. With the fall of civilization, reading has become outlawed. Superstitions prevail, and readers are persecuted like the witches and wizards of old. Bruce and his son James seek to overturn the prejudices of their day and restore the scientific knowledge central to their survival, but monsters lurk in the dark.


Review 4 of 5 Stars

Life has been busy and it took me forever to get around to reading Monsters, but I'm glad I did.  It was a good story. Generally I read more of the reaching and playing in the universe brand of stories, but I really enjoyed this story.  Monsters is a post-apocalyptic type of story, though civilization doesn't fall to nuclear weapons, zombies or anything of the type, which was refreshing. The destruction of civilization as we know it was much more subtle and leads to the theme for this book, which is really how much would we lose if we as a civilization lost the ability to read and how would our lives be affected through the generations. The beginning of the book was a little bit too much narrative for me, but it wasn't so much that I couldn't get through it.  It picked up nicely along the way in the battling of Monsters, both wild and human. I was really into by the end of the book and hated to see it end. If I had to be in this world I would surely take the risks that the characters do to get their hands on books, because I too am a reader. All in all it was a good read and a interesting way to pass a couple of evenings at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed. That does not mean negative comments will not be posted. I am just interested in weeding out spam and comments with what would be considered truly offensive language. If you can state your likes and dislikes with that in mind, the posts will not be removed.